Earth Day is approaching fast! It will be here on Monday, April 22. I am posting this blog a little bit earlier, that way you all can think of things or organize things before hand. Also, with it being on a Monday, it might be easier to do something on the weekend since unfortunately most of us work on Mondays. Earth day should be a holiday in my opinion hehe.
Alrighty, so Earth Day. What is it? Earth Day marks the anniversary of the birth of the modern environmental movement back in 1970. It was a way to bring environmental issues to the political agenda. Currently, we are facing climate change, polar ice caps melting, deforestation, plastic and trash taking over our water and honestly so much more.
So, I have 10 easy things for you to do this Earth Day! Yay!!
- Commit to using a reusable water bottle and taking it with you everywhere.
- Start a cleanup in your area or join a cleanup. That way you can prevent that trash from reaching our water ways.
- If possible, switch all your bills/banking to online. You will save thousands of trees every year by not getting them mailed to you.
- Speaking of trees, plant a tree or pollinator garden! Trees are essential to our Earth. Going back to middle school science, they breath in the carbon dioxide we produce and let out the oxygen we need.
- Check all your faucets and see if any are leaking. If they are, today’s the day to fix them and to help save that precious water, and keep your money in your pocket!
- Take a look at your light bulbs and see if they need updating. Halogen, LED and CFL are the best currently for energy efficiency.
- Go enjoy nature! Take a hike, go for a walk, explore a national park. Remind yourself why it’s so important to protect these special things in nature.
- Educate yourself! Take just 10-15 min out of your day to learn about helping the Earth.
- Shop at a local farmers market.
- Don’t just stop after Earth Day, keep it going. Make a list of things to continue doing throughout the year!
Have fun celebrating Earth Day!! Share this with your friends and spread the word. Remember the ripple effect I always talk about–well be that ripple effect in your community. Tag me on instagram (link on side) or use #thegreenlifeofsj so I can see all the wonderful things you are doing! -SJ
“Don’t underestimate the ripple effect of what you do. These kinds of actions have toppled empires.”Leila Janah